Friday, March 12, 2010

Loving the Thought of Two Springs

In the spirit of a good attitude and in light of the fact we [probably] aren't done with snow and freezing weather, I thought it would be good to list out the Ten Things I like about winter.

Um...

After having thought this through and not wanting this post to be too lengthy, it seemed good wisdom to reduce the list to the five things I like about winter.

Um...

As a result of further consideration it seemed appropriate to share with you the single thing I like about winter.

Um... Maybe this post should be "Inspirational thoughts from the book of Lamentations" instead.

I do like snowmobiling.  Or, I did as a kid 400 years ago when I last did it, had access to one, and a yard bigger than a city lot.  

The first big snow is pretty.  But, so are postcards of the Eiffel Tower, I don't need one of those in my backyard.

It's fun to run a snowblower.  Well, in that compared-to-shoveling kind of way it's "fun."

But, most important, the thing I can't reduce, the one thing about winter that I can't complain about or discount in any way is... ya, sorry, I got nothing.  I thought something would come to me - but it didn't.

However, I do like the season that precedes it and the one that follows it.  

Every one of us has seasons in our life we would rather skip.  All of us know the "winters of the soul."  We all have those times when it seems that bitter cold and slippery sidewalks have taken over.  

What we may not be aware of is that God the Holy Spirit was in the season before.  We didn't know it but He was strengthening our souls getting us ready for what He knew was coming and we didn't.  He is also there to bring warmth, healing, and new life when the season is over.  By the way, He is also there through the middle of the season we would have liked to avoid.

If you're in the season before the storm (which is hard to know), let the Lord strengthen you.  Drink in the strength and preparation God can bring you.  Be strong in your faith and don't take God for granted.

If you're in the season of the storm, let the faith of His presence sustain you.  Let God whisper to you and promise to go with you through it.  Be strong in your faith and don't let the storm loosen your grip on God.

If you're at the end of the season you would have rather skipped, let the new life that God wants to give you bring healing and wholeness.  Let Him restore the joy.  Be strong in your faith and don't forget about the God that has brought you through.

Loving the Thought of Two Springs,

Pastor Dave

No comments: