Friday, February 26, 2010

lessons from a boo boo

Leah talks quite a bit with our grandsons on the phone.  Isaiah is getting more words and Eli is just having fun.  They both love talking with gram-gram.  Eli had to get one of his routine I'm-growing-up-and-don't-wanna-be-sick shots the other day.  I heard Leah talking with him about his boo-boo on his leg trying to get more than the word "boo-boo" out of him.  As she talked with Lynsee, after his attention span wore off (he is my son's son), she found out he was pointing at his leg where he got the shot.  He was showing gram-gram where the the boo-boo was.

In their mind if they can hear the voice they assume the voice can see them, even if they can't see where the voice is coming from.

I wonder if that's part of the child-like faith that Christ called his followers to.  "There will be times you won't be able to see me, you may wonder where I am, it might not make sense, but if you listen to the voice..."

I want to have the faith that points to the pain assuming that my God loves me enough to care about that pain, and is able to help.  I want to be able to be honest enough that I can point to the source of the problem and know that He understands.  I want to listen to Him say, "I love you."  I want to know that there is no such thing as God having to say, "good-bye."  I mean, I know that, but I want to remember it.  Remember it at the right time.  Like now.

As our grandkids grow they will figure out that gram-gram can't see through the phone.  As our grandkids grow I want them to know God doesn't need one, but wants to talk about the boo-boo's.

Pointing to Spots on My Soul, Hoping You Do the Same,

Pastor Dave

No comments: