Friday, December 18, 2009

Twas the week of Christmas

Twas the week of Christmas and all through the church

our souls were all eager, on our chairs we did perch.

 

We gathered to worship, as we do every week,

to talk about blessings and His presence to seek.

 

We sang all the songs we were expected to sing,

and heard from the Bible 'bout peace and such things.

 

We put on our smiles, wore nice attire,

and said kind words to others designed to inspire.

 

When to our surprise, who should appear

but the Christ that we worship, "What's He doing here?"

 

We were really quite shocked, it's a very new thing,

it's not on the schedule to talk with the King.

 

But He had our attention, so after his greeting,

He lovely asked us, "What's the point of this meeting?"

 

"We gathered to celebrate the day You were born."

But as soon as we said it His spirit was torn.

 

"I don't need a season, a day, or a week. 

You too often ignore the treasure I seek."

 

"I hunger for souls that are wounded and torn,

so I can repair them.  What's why I was born."

 

"But You are too busy being proper and neat

to hear from my heart or sit at my feet."

 

"You fret about gifts and other such stuff

as if my love and grace are never enough."

 

"The message you know is not for a few,

  it's for those who don't know me - but do know you."

 

"You want to honor my life and be like me?

Do it all year and let everyone see."

 

Then He was gone as quick as He came

and all of us knew we just weren't the same.

 

Christmas had meaning, even more than before

since Christ interrupted and walked in the door.

 

Merry Christmas,

Pastor Dave

 

 

No comments: