Friday, December 4, 2009

Looking for Sticky Growth

This would be a good time for us to think about how to celebrate the Christ of Christmas.  But, to be honest, my mind has been focused more on the Christ of the New Year.

 

Every New Year we evaluate the previous year and look ahead to the twelve months that are filled with new potential.  Now is the time to think in advance and start to plan.  What is going to make 2010 a year of growth?

 

1.  Remember everything impacts your spiritual walk… (or is it your spiritual walk impacts everything?).  New Year changes aren't about changing how I spend my money; they are about stewardship of what God has given me.  New Year changes aren't about getting in shape; they are about honoring God with our bodies.  New Year changes aren't about being nice to people that are mean; they are about giving the grace that God has given me.  New Year changes aren't about going to church more often or reading your Bible more; they are about taking steps of intimacy with God, God's people, and God's Word.  It's spiritual.

 

I need to be sure that every adjustment I intend to make in 2010 is one that I have evaluated in light of the spiritual realm.  That gives them more glue.

 

2.  Start asking now!  This is a great time to be talking to the Lord about what His power and love longs to do in my life as I start a new calendar.  What area of growth has God been working in the soil of my spirit?  What desire has He planted?  Think about it, if I want to get deeper in the Word – was that my idea?  God has been planting hungers for intimacy in our hearts waiting for us to tend to that hunger.  What is the hunger God is giving you for the New Year?

 

 I need to hear from the Lord what He longs to do in my life.  If I know it's from Him it gives change more glue.

 

3.  Walk the tightrope of realism and faith.  Be realistic about the steps you are thinking about taking.  If you haven't been in the Bible this year but next year you plan to read it through once a week you may not be being realistic (which is a trick of the enemy often – to exaggerate God's call so it leads more to discouragement than it does to fruitfulness).    On the other hand I can make such shallow plans for the New Year that it does not require supernatural cooperation.  I need to let God lead me to changes that require faith and dependence.

 

This is a time to take steps that require the power of God!  That power gives growth glue.

(to be continued)

 

Looking for Sticky Growth, 

Pastor Dave     

No comments: