Friday, November 6, 2009

Silly Turned Serious

I love to laugh.  I like being silly.  I enjoy clean comedy and have been known to get a kick out of some pretty goofy things.  But, I start this day thinking about some issues that aren't funny.
 
1. The depth of pain that is in the news isn't funny.  I've watched with you the stammering coverage of Fort Hood as news commentators expound on what they have few details of.  Some families started this day with the pain of random death being forced into their world. 
 
2. A sleeping church isn't funny.  We have been given the truth and been effective at ignoring the eternal result of that truth until it is often little more than a creed we believe in, not a life that we live.
 
3. A selfish "Christian" isn't funny.  Sometimes I am quick to judge things solely based on my opinion or how it affects me.  I forget to think of the Kingdom of God first.
 
4. An unread Bible isn't funny.  God's letter to us is also part of His revelation of Himself to us.  When God gives me a tool to know Him and I've got more excuses than Craftsmen has tools – it's not right.
 
5.  When I'm too busy being "me" to be part of healing someone else it's not funny.  Healed souls are to be about being used by the Healer of their souls to help heal other's souls.  If I'm too busy to invite someone to coffee or share a prayer burden with them God is grieved.
 
6.  Trying to be something I'm not isn't funny.  Too many times Halloween masks are an expression of what I've attempted to do every other day of the year – pretend.  We're afraid to be honest with each other sometimes and as a result we get used to the plastic shell that covers our soul.
 
7. Refusing God isn't funny.  I find myself asking what God has wanted to do in me, in the church I attend, and in the community we are called to reach.  I wonder how many times I have been guilty of not listening to God, not going when His heart was to send me, and not lifting my voice when His heart was to speak through me.
 
So, today I think serious thoughts.  We could all identify things that we think are funny.  I just found myself thinking a different direction today.  Maybe it's a good day for a little sober judgment.
 
Prayerfully,
 
Pastor Dave

No comments: