Friday, May 22, 2009

Thoughts

Dear Friends,

I wake today with thoughts of what this day holds.  It is my discovery that, among other things, this day holds choices.  No one has dictated what I am to eat, where I am to go, what I am to say or not say.  I can plan my weekend to worship the way that fits my faith.  I can travel freely.  I can applaud what I like and I can complain about what I don't like - and I know that others can do the same… 

  

Dear Savior,

I wake today with thought of what this day holds.  It is my discovery that, among other things, this day holds choices.  You have given me the profound gift of selecting from countless activities that I can participate in that offer You praise in heaven while my feet are on earth.  You have even trusted me with the ability to scorn your gift by misusing it to behave in ways that violate Your will - and I know that others can do the same …

  

Dear Friends,

... I wanted you to know that I do not take my freedom for granted.  You, or a family member of yours is, or has been, a very big part of that.  Countless people have given their lives in service to this Country so that we could be free.  The result is not flawless, the result is not totally harmonious, the result may not have been what was fully intended – but the result is a nation working through liberating, and sometimes volatile, expressions of freedom…       

  

Dear Savior,

... I wanted You to know that I do not take my freedom for granted.  You have paid a price that only You could pay so that I could live a life that only You could provide.  Sometimes I stumble and mess up the gift You have given, sometimes I behave more like someone who is bound than someone who is free, sometimes I forget about Your work – but the result of Your life is grace at work in my life changing me in liberating and sometimes volatile ways so I can live expressions of freedom… 

 

Dear Friends,

I know that freedom has a price.  Across this globe, through the pages of time, are the scars of war.  Each war represents a cause and a willingness to give life for that cause.  An enemy of this nation was faced.  Your grandpa, uncle, mom or dad, son or daughter, husband or wife walked those fields and forests risking – and maybe even giving – their very life.  They placed an oath on their lips, a flag on their hearts, and a promise to this Nation above their own safety and served so that I could be free.  I wanted you to know I'm remembering their sacrifice…

 

Dear Savior,

I know that freedom has a price.  Across this globe, through the pages of time, are scars of war for my soul.  You have faced the enemy of my soul with the power of Your own blood.  You have stood when I could not, fought when I was too weak, risked when I was a coward, and rolled away stones when my fate was sealed.  You remained obedient to our Father when the price could not have climbed higher and You remained committed to my freedom when my bondage could not have been deeper.  I wanted You to know I'm remembering Your sacrifice…

 

Dear Friend,

Thank You.

 

Dear Savior,

Thank You.

 

 

Pastor Dave

No comments: