Friday, May 8, 2009

Irony

This morning I sit outside working on this note wondering why 60 degrees feels so different in the Spring than it does in the Winter.  If my living room was 60 degrees 3 months ago I would have called someone to fix the furnace because we were "freezing." But, right now with the sun coming up to the bird choir I sit in my backyard in a short sleeved shirt loving the warmer temperatures.

We're complex people.

Zoe, our dog, has a favorite place to sit in the winter.  Right under the window where the sun is coming in is her favorite spot.  But now that the sun is out and the whole back yard is covered with it, she found a spot in the shade of the porch swing.  

When I take Zoe for a walk and she sees a squirrel she bolts quick enough to pull my arm off, but when she sees one run across the backyard (like she just did as I write this) she won't leave the shady spot she's claimed.

My wife doesn't like onions, but loves onion rings.  I'm not real fond of tomatoes but like ketchup (by the way… who decided how to spell "catchup," it's like the word "kwhyer" in the first paragraph... I might be good at spelling if it made more cents!)  

It seems that we struggle with having our own life be consistent and at the same time wish God would be closer somehow.  I want to know God's will but I'd rather live my own.  I want to make my own decisions but I wonder why God doesn't intervene and protect me from the results of them.

When Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt there were comforted by seeing the presence of God lead them through the pillar of smoke and fire, but when it came to meeting with God they wanted Moses to go for them because they were afraid.  They wanted to know God was near… just not too near.

Wanting to know the presence of God and refusing to turn my back on sin and compromise doesn't add up.  Claiming to understand that God is the judge while I demand my right to judge and sentence people is kind of silly.  Worshipping God in the church building and ignoring him at home reveals my misunderstanding.  Wanting God to bless my mediocrity is….

Seeking,

Pastor Dave 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just finished listening to the podcast Required 3 and have listened to the conversation, I did put myself in that room. I have lived as self pity and compromise and then asked God to be near me. Seeking his guideance but not allowing it. Really seeking God and letting Him change me. Karen O.

PaulKlor said...

Forgot how funny you can be... Good observations on irony.