Friday, February 27, 2009

Hunger

"What do we hunger for?"

That's really not a pastoral trick question - it's an honest question.  What am I really hungry for? 

Physical hunger shows up by an embarrassing growl from the stomach at the most inopportune times (I remember swallowing a pack of gum once to get my stomach to stop growling in church). 

Relational hunger shows up in a desire to "hang out" with people. 

Emotional hunger sometimes manifests itself through moodiness (unless you're a teenager - then moodiness is a personality trait).

It's now after lunch, and to be honest – I'm hungry.  As I write this there sits a bowl of microwavable soup on the file cabinet to my right.  I will take care of that hunger in a few minutes… I must say, as I look at it Famous Dave's would do a better job of satisfaction.  But, I know how to fix that hunger.

Last night Leah and I had a blast having dinner with friends.  Some that we've known a long time (note I didn't say "old friends") and some we are just getting to know.  Laughter is a good thing.  Sitting in a restaurant for two and a half hours with friends satisfies hunger on multiple levels.  I know how to fix relational hunger.

There are times that my emotional tank is just empty.  I am tired on multiple levels and moods tend to find their expressions in the world of extremes.  The amazing thing to me is how issues I see effect what I don't.  My tax guy told me how much I have to pay the government (who is almost a trillion dollars in debt… but I'm not bitter… I just… oh never-mind).  I noticed rust on the wheel-well of my car.  Another organization just asked me to help them by getting involved with something.  I gained weight last week.  All things I see.  All of it somehow impacts what I can't see - emotions.  But, I know that I can fix emotional hunger with a priority change and a mild and loving kick from my wife.

Sometimes I cover my hunger in my opinions. 

Sometimes I ignore my hunger by busyness.

Sometimes I hide my hunger by quick fixes.

Sometimes I appease my hunger by shallow religion.

But it's still there. Cover. Ignore. Hide. Appease.  It's still there. Cover. Ignore. Hid….  You get the idea.

But right now, what am I hungry for.  Really hungry for?  The kind of hunger that runs deeper than food, friends, or how I feel.

I read scripture the other day that made me hungry.  I will openly confess to you that I am spiritually hungry for something. 

I read the first chapter of Ezekiel, the third verse.  And I saw the words that caused all forms of hunger to bow in reverence.  I saw the words that summed up what I have longed for, had tastes of, and longed for some more.  Words that challenge my walk and call me to be quick on my actions.

"…the hand of the Lord was upon him."

Ya, meditate on that phrase for a second.  What does it do to you?  So I ask the question again: "What are we hungry for?"

Ezekiel 1:3
…the word of the LORD came to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, by the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians. There the hand of the LORD was upon him.

Married to Leah, Engaged to Christ,

Pastor Dave

 

 

 


1 comment:

My life...my family...my faith. said...

I have had for awhile and continue to feel the "hunger pains" to be able to be the hands and feet of Jesus. To be able to mimic those actions of our Lord throughout my day to day walk and to be an example for others to see Him through me.