Friday, February 8, 2013

Why

As I was blowing the neighbors driveway out I found myself asking a question.  "Why are you doing this?"

A few reasons came to mind and not all of them were super spiritual.

1. I like to do stuff like that because I can.  In 1988 I was told I may not be able to walk within ten years.  It's twenty five years later and I enjoy being able to do what I can do.

2. I like looking at a blanket of snow a foot deep and cutting a path through it.  There's something manly about throwing snow with an engine powered machine.

3. I need to be able to get out and I don't want to have to get stuck in my own driveway.

4. I want to be nice.  I'm a neighbor.  Whatever else that means, it has to include helping.

6. Jesus did. I know he didn't walk Exodus Street in Nazareth to clear driveways of snow, but he did extend a hand to those who needed it - ask the crippled man who couldn't get to the pool.  My snowblower didn't heal anyone  
    today, but it did make their lives a little easier.

7. It's a time to talk with the Lord.  It's a time to think on his word.  It's a time to let him speak into my life.  It's a time when phones aren't heard and the "stuff" can wait.

8. It's a way of getting ready for Jesus to do more in my life.  Surrender to Christ includes service to others.  When I serve it puts my spirit in a position that God can get to.

I guess we all have those things (even if we don't have a snowblower) that remind us why we are doing what we are doing.  Why do we get involved in the world around us?  Because Jesus wants us to.

I'm thinking today that there is always a way to touch someone close to us in the name of Christ, even if we don't say his name out loud.

Get ready for God to start something new as we head into the Easter Season!

Preparing my Heart for Him,

Pastor Dave

No comments: