Friday, July 20, 2012

In the Chair

My dentist told me there's a root canal in my future.  I disagreed with her, "No, there's not."  She smiled, "Yes, there is."  I said, "No, there's not."  She said, "Yes, there is."  She's not a good listener.

I had pictures in my mind of the procedure that went like this-
The sweet lady takes a pair of vise-grips and sterilizes them in gasoline.  Then she clamps on any random tooth, rips it out, and soaks it in rubbing alcohol.  While my tooth is soaking she takes her DeWalt drill with the 1/2inch bit and drills a hole where the tooth was and fills the hole with a really expensive epoxy.  She then pounds the tooth back in place with a rubber mallet and I gargle with Lysol.

That's a root canal in my mind.  "Thanks, I'm busy that day.  And that one.  And that one too.  How's February 35th, 2087 look for you?"

I put off what I don't want to experience.  Even if it's needed.

Have you ever done that with God?  Me too.

Have you ever wrongly assumed what God is going to do?  Me too.

Have you ever let your imagination lie to you about God?  Me too.

God's fix for what is dangerous in my soul has nothing to do with vise-grips or Lysol.  But, He is very interested in removing poison.  In fact, he's passionate about it.  He knows the damage that it can cause.  Grace works better than rubbing alcohol and the death/resurrection of Christ is more effective than a DeWalt drill.

Surrender is not as bad as I think it is.  Hidden sin is worse than I know.  I've got an appointment for right now.

In the chair,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: