Friday, February 10, 2012

Reflecting

This week I had quite the silly day and it showed up on Facebook.  A friend of mine from high school celebrated in his comment, "Kessler's back!"  The next day I posted that I was feeling more "dignified" to which my friend expressed a "boooooo" and his desire for "yesterday's Kessler."  A thought I'm sure my wife and he would have to sit on opposite sides of the aisle on.

I know he was referring to the lighter post of the day before, but I was stuck on the words "yesterday's Kessler."  (Which by the way does need to happen more often.  I am a very firm believer in we could all stand to lighten up a little.)

Let's be honest, other than a simpler lifestyle, less flesh on TV, lower prices, and a 90 kazillillon dollar nation debt, yesterday has little to offer me.  So, although "yesterday's Kessler" wore pants that had a smaller waistline I was thinking through some reasons why I'm glad he's not around.

1.  He didn't know how to be himself.  He was really focused on watching other people and trying be them.  He had a hard time just being who God made him to be.

2. He didn't know he was human.  There's nothing like a physical limitation to remind you of how human you really are and how precious and fragile life really is.

3. He didn't take the faith journey seriously enough.  No excuses.  You know in your heart of heart when you're taking it serious and when you're not.  For too long I don't think I did.

4. He didn't know how to be a husband.  That takes time.  I'm still learning.  But, the "old Kessler" didn't know what he didn't know.

5.  He didn't know how to reflect.  Maybe that's a phase I'm going through now.  I like thinking on God, friends, prayer, the Word.  I think reflecting is cleansing.  "Old Kessler" thought only mirrors reflected, and they were for girls.

6.  He didn't know how to walk on the water.  Now that I'm flawless I realize how easy it is to be me.  That's why I wouldn't want to be the "old me," it was too much work to pretend to be flawless.  Oh, but not pretending anymore, that's liberating.

7.  Of course I know #6 isn't true.  And the "old Kessler" knew that too.  The difference is the "old Kessler" hated and hid the truth of it and the "new Kessler" is learning not to.  I'm a follower of Christ.  I'm not flawless - He is.  I'm not a Savior - He is.  I'm not the leader - He is.  I'm not called to save the world - He is.  I'm not the miracle worker - He is.  I am a follower.  The "old Kessler" didn't understand that.

I do.

Dave

No comments: