Friday, December 10, 2010

Expectations


Expectations.  As I sat in my chair reading this morning my grandson quietly discovered a stash of grandpa's "candy."  He was curious enough that he had to see what they tasted like and sneaky enough to be sure that his back was to me so I couldn't see him sample the treasure he found.  He knew the treat would be wonderful.

 

Expectations.  Sometimes they are flat unfair.  It's when I inflate the potential of the unknown to be enjoyable without a hitch.  It's when I think people will change when they find out I want them to.  It's when I plan for situations to change solely because I don't like them.

 

Expectations.  In some areas they are too high and in others they are too low.  We have high expectations that our spouse will never miss a cue, and low expectations when we meet with God.  Sometimes we don't have the faith that God will move.

 

Expectations.  Ours of God should be high and should be purified by a strong faith in God.  This is a great season to let your faith grow, and your let faith lift your expectations.  It's Christmas.

 

Expectations.  What are your Christmas expectations?  Flawless dinner - the perfect gift - family harmony - snow on the lawn and not the road?  Do you expect certain flavors, sounds, smells, and emotions?

 

Expectations. Isaiah found himself huddled around a handful of grandpa's candy - Fisherman's Friend cough drops.  His sample licking did not produce the flavors he was hoping for.  Determined, he licked a few of them to see if they were like jelly beans, "there must be one here that tastes like candy!" If you haven't had them before - imagine a fuel oil and rotten egg popsicle.  He was quite disappointed when he placed them in my hand, shook his head, refused to close his mouth so he wouldn't have to taste the remnants on his lips, and proclaimed, "yucky!"

 

Expectations. Our expectations on the "things" of Christmas are too high.  Our expectations on the Christ of Christmas are too low.  The result is - yucky.  The thing is - I set my expectations.

 

Expectations.  Faith based expectations that come from an accurate view of God's nature are never disappointing.  Having my "expecter" set on high when I worship God is not a waste of energy.  Spending time with God is not a disappointment.  Opening my will to Him is not a let down.

 

Expectations.

Mine for God are high.  Mine for a new Corvette are low.

Mine for the move of God's Spirit are high.  Mine for perfect weather are low.

Mine for a demonstration of God's strength is high.  Mine for stuff to satisfy me are low.

 

Going to buy some real candy for my "hiding place" because I don't ever want to see that look on my grandson's face again,

 

Pastor Dave

No comments: