Friday, May 14, 2010

Missing the Point

"Jesus, I thought I'd bring a few issues to you this Friday.  

1. It seems that bitterness is growing in our nation.  We've built our sand castles on success and the "American dream" and the waves have exposed them as far less than sturdy.  It's even in the church.  We've forgotten how to define ministry the way you do.  Appearances are valued more than substance even in the gathering of your people.  When our castles don't support us the way we would like we get angry and blame people... usually the wrong people.  
I think the church needs revival

2. There are a a lot of people who are dear to me that are really having a hard time right now.  I keep trying to come up with the right words that will cause people to know your power and find that my words don't cut it.  I guess we need to quit trying to find ways to "fix" people and risk loving them through what often doesn't make sense.  We're not enough.  The stuff is too big for us.  We have no quick solutions.  We really need to learn how to be more dependent on you and less dependent on comfort.
I think the church needs revival

3. Our idols keep us too busy for you.  I didn't mean to say "idols," that was a slip on my part.  They aren't idols - they are priorities.  It's not like I bow down to them... I just hold them higher than you.  That's not an idol is it?  It's just that everything is so important right now.  You are eternity, but I'm doing "right now" right now.  Sometimes I wonder what single surrender looks and feels like.  I'm trying to surrender to a lot of different things.
I think the church needs revival.

4. Too many people haven't placed their faith in you and that doesn't really worry us.  I think we are not as passionate about the lost as you are.  We can send a check or let someone else carry that load.  
I think the church needs revival.

5. Toleration has pretended to be unity.  It's too risky to be real.  I guess it's better to be a surfer than a deep sea diver.  Staying on the surface is ok isn't it?  The busy thing is part of this.  I don't have the time to really walk with someone through the journey.  The journey is best left as an individual thing.  I know you had different plans, but that's how we've learned to do it.  
I think the church needs revival.

6. We care so much about what I can't find in the Bible.
I think the church needs revival.

The answers seem to be the same.  

I'm going to work on a list of people that need to let you bring revival.  I know if they would get on the ball life would be different for them and the church.

Well, It's been nice talking with you Jesus.  
Amen."

Missing the Point,

Dave

No comments: