Friday, January 8, 2010

Interview with Al and Dave

Interview with Al and Dave (DK).  Al is a pretty non-descript person.  They say he appears like the person he is closest to at that moment.  He looked an eerie amount like me as we talked.

 

(DK) Thanks for this opportunity to talk with you.  I've wanted to do this for a long time.

(AL) Sure.  To be honest, I'm a little surprised you got around to it.  It's not like I'm an important person or anything.  I'm sure you've got much better things to do.

(DK) That leads me to my first question.  What exactly is it that you do?

(AL)  I guess I help people with their priorities and activities.

(DK) Can you give me an example?

(AL) Let's take you for example.  You've wanted to take some big steps in your prayer life haven't you?

(DK) Ya, but, I don't think I have yet.

(AL) But, you've gotten very close haven't you?  That's what I do.  I help people get close.

(DK)  You seem to be very busy right now.

(AL) It's my favorite time of the year.  I need to make sure that people who have made good spiritual and physical decisions get really close to a life changing experience.  My employers love it when people get close to newness.

(DK)  That brings up another question.  Who are your employers?

(AL)  Let's just say you and I work for different people.

(DK)  I don't understand.  Could you fill that in a little more?

(AL)  No.

(DK)  You talk a lot about people "getting close," what about completion?  What about when people do take life changing steps and allow the power of God's Holy Spirit to take them to new places?  Do you help with that too?

(AL)  Let's get something straight.  I'm all about helping people make decisions and getting close to actually doing it.  But I find the actual change and doing it to be a waste of time.  It's the thought that counts, not the actions.  My goal is to keep people right where they are.

(DK)  But don't they get discouraged?  Don't they feel like a failure?  Don't they get tired of not quite growing?

(Al) I don't think so.  I don't know.  I've spent a lot of time with you and you never seemed to mind being close to real change but not quite getting there.

(DK)  That's been you?  You're the one that has kept me living with good ideas stuck in my mind that never really make it to my spirit so that they move my hands and feet?  You're the one that keeps me from growing?!

(AL)  Well, I can't take all the credit.  My boss has been involved in your stagnation, um, I mean idleness, um, I mean mediocrity, no, that's not right either - my boss and I help you be strong enough to stay just like you are.  There's no need to thank us, we're glad to… hey, where are you going?  Wait!  We're not done yet!  You didn't ask about our plans for 2010! 

I left the interview with Al Most. 

He has not been invited to join me this year.  I heard he's lonely and looking for a companion – but I'm not going to hang out with him anymore.  Are you?

Empowered to Complete,

Pastor Dave 

 

 

 

No comments: