Friday, April 17, 2009

Unlearning

This morning I sat in my chair (I'm an old grandpa man, so I have "a chair" now) and picked up the book I've been going through again, William Law's, A Serious Call to A Devote and Holy Life.  This is a book that was written in the 1700's so some of the thoughts are difficult to apply with 300 years of calendar dust on them, but the core truths apply now as much as then.

I read the first paragraph of the chapter on humility and underlined a thought that was really good… since then I have forgotten it, but it was good.

Second paragraph, kind of reading and kind of thinking about the previous thought that was good.  Then my eyes scrolled across the end of the first sentence in the second paragraph of chapter twenty-seven.  As they did the forces of nature and the cosmic powers that be invaded my room with a time freezing zap that locked my eyes on the last few words of the sentence.  

I will readily admit that I'm not the sharpest tack in the bunch.  There are plenty of theologians that understand far more than I can grasp.  Every Biblical historian remembers far more than I do. There are countless pastors that have more skill in their ears than I have in my entire being, but I like to learn.  I really like it when something settles in my brain and the blue bird of knowledge sits on my shoulder and chirps something new to me.

So, imagine my shock when God made me stare at the William Law phrase, "has a great deal to unlearn."

For me to be a student of the Word and a follower of Christ I must be willing to unlearn what would hinder my growth and doesn't line up with God.  

So, I thought through what the "unlearning" encyclopedia would hold.

Success.  We've got to dump what culture has taught us about success.  We know that, but we continue to run on the treadmill to nowhere grasping what doesn't last hoping it makes us "look" right.

Christian.  We've mangled that word up so much it's hard to recognize.  Here's a hint – a Christian is like Christ.  We need to unlearn how we have defined that word.  A Christian who doesn't follow Christ - isn't.

Rights.  You have the right to die for Christ… everything else is a privilege not a right – even if the government disagrees.

Sin.  Sin is not what we've decided is right or wrong.  Sin is not what offends us and if it doesn't – it's not sin.  We've learned that our culture of expectations we place on others is somehow what defines sin, but we are wrong.  God defines sin.  Someone puts a cigarette to their mouth and we're ready with the "s" label.  Someone else harbors a bitter spirit and we calmly understand.     

Church.  Do we have to unlearn some things about church?  This is not the place for us to bash the Body of Christ or attack denominations, but I wonder if what we have learned (taught ourselves) about the weekly gathering is off the mark.

Worship.  We've reduced worship so far that it is little more than liking or not liking the music during the hour service on Sunday.  That's not "worship" that's entertainment.  I can't "not like" worship… worship is an action of proclaiming the value and worth of God.  How can I not like or like that?  We've got unlearning to do.  

Obedience.  We've allowed obedience to be reduced to doing something we have to do.  That's not right!  Obedience is when the Creator (God) loves the created (me) enough to point him or her in a direction to fulfill the plan of the Creator and the purpose of the created.  Obedience should be our greatest source of joy!

Husband.  What about some of the roles we fill?  Have we learned what is not right about how to fill that role?

Discipleship.

Prayer.

Friendship.

Holiness.

Submission.

Parenting.
 

I've been thinking this morning about stuff that might need to be unlearned so that I can relearn from the Teacher of my soul and Provider of my eternity.

Maybe we need an unlearners support group.

Still Thinking,
Pastor Dave
 

No comments: